WORD-FORMING TYPES OF ROCKS AND MINERALS NAMES IN UKRAINIAN PETROLOGY
Dynamic development of petrology leads to the intensification of the processes of terms formation. The need to organize the system of rocks and minerals names in the Ukrainian language in accordance with international standards, to unify and to standardize it is becoming increasingly important. A number of problems related to the functioning and development of Ukrainian (and international) petrological terminology, including the transcription of international names in the national language, constant changes in spelling, the existence of doublet terminological elements, synonymy of terms, etc. require the attention of not only naturalists but also linguists. The article considers the issues of petrological terms formation in the Ukrainian language. Attention is focused on the description and analysis of the main word-forming types of rocks and minerals names. The main problems of rocks and minerals names formation in modern Ukrainian petrology are highlighted. It was found that in modern petrology occurs an extremely branched paradigm of means, types and models of rocks and minerals names formation, which, on the one hand, helps to create the most appropriate name, but on the other hand, causes the emergence of large number of synonyms. It is determined that the terminological derivation in Ukrainian petrology, as well as in international, is based on terminological elements of Greek-Latin origin, to use them properly petrologist needs to know ancient Greek and Latin. The most productive were proved to be suffixal word-forming types; the main prefixal and compositional types were also analyzed. Despite the high productivity of suffixal types, the largest number of irrational, scientifically uninformative names is created through the use of suffixes, while prefixation and composition prevail in the word formation of rational nomenclature.
2. Kolhan, O.V. (2013). Prefiksalnyi ta prefiksalno-sufiksalnyi sposoby tvorennia terminiv hirnychoi spravy [Prefixal and prefixal-suffixal ways of mining terms formation]. Terminolohichnyi visnyk, 2(2), p. 48–51. (In Ukr.).
3. Kulchytska, H.O., Chernysh, D.S. (2015). Pro utvorennia ukrainskykh nazv mineralnykh vydiv i riznovydiv [On the formation of Ukrainian names of mineral species and varieties]. Zapysky Ukrainskoho mineralohichnoho tovarystva, 1, p. 134–145. (In Ukr.).
4. Biletskyi, V.S. (Ed.). (2004). Mala hirnycha entsyklopediia [Small mining encyclopedia]. Donetsk: Donbas, T. 1. (In Ukr.).
5. Biletskyi, V.S. (Ed.). (2007). Mala hirnycha entsyklopediia [Small mining encyclopedia]. Donetsk: Donbas, T. 2. (In Ukr.).
6. Biletskyi, V.S. (Ed.). (2013). Mala hirnycha entsyklopediia [Small mining encyclopedia]. Donetsk: Skhidnyi vydavnychyi dim, T. 3. (In Ukr.).
7. Matkovskyi, O., Pavlyshyn, V. (2018). Universytetskyi period stanovlennia y rozvytku opysovoi mineralohii v Ukraini (ХІХ st. –1940-vi roky) [University period of formation and development of descriptive mineralogy in Ukraine (XIX cent. – 1940s). Mineralohichnyi zbirnyk, 68 (2), p. 3–26. (In Ukr.).
8. Ponomarenko, O.M., Kulchytska, H.O., Chernysh, D.S. (2017). Slovnyk ukrainskykh nazv mineralnykh vydiv u informatsiinomu prostori [Dictionary of Ukrainian names of mineral species in the information space]. Mineralohichnyi zhurnal, 39 (1), p. 3–10. (In Ukr.).
9. Slovnyk ukrainskykh nazv mineralnykh vydiv (2017). [Dictionary of Ukrainian names of mineral species. Kyiv. https://mineralopediaukraine.com/ dictionary (In Ukr.).