THE THEOLOGICAL VIEW OF THEODORE SKUMYNOVYCH ON THE REASONS OF DECAY OF THE ORTHODOX EAST IN THE WORK "PRZYCZYNY PORZUCENIA DISUNIEY PRZEZACNEMU NARODOWI RUSKIEMU PODANE" (1643)
In the article it is researched the polemical work of former Father Superior of St. Michael cloister in Kyiv Theodore Skumynovych "Przyczyny porzucenia Disuniey przezacnemu narodowi ruskiemu podane" (1643); it is disclosed the view of the writer on the reasons of decay of the orthodox East, stated the used stylistic devices in book. In his work Theodore Skumynovych substantiated his thought that separation of the East church from Rome caused the decay of the countries, in which one took up the principal positions. Idealizing the age of unity of church, the writer contrastingly opposed the glorious Christian past of Syria and it's tragic present. Criticizing the Greek clergy for rejection to dialog of consolidation with Rome, the polemicist narrated about the horrible tragedy of Catholics, which happened in Constantinople in 1182 year. Theodore Skumynovych turned his eyes also on church's life of Egypt, Libya, Numidia, Germany, France, Hungary, Italy. The writer rated Ukraine to the same category of countries as England, Denmark, Sweden, to which Lord revealed His mercy and long suffering, because believed in their conversion to Catholicism. Explaining the reasons of spiritual regress of the countries of the Eastern Church, the polemicist concerned the tragic milestone of history of Ancient Rus. As the decay of Byzantine empire, the author analyzed the military and political troubles of Rus in the context of catholic conception of history, in which prosperity of the nations depended on the obedience to the authority of Pope. The flourishing of Ancient Rus, which took place at the times of the Kyiv prince Volodymyr and Yaroslav the wise, Theodore Skumynovych attributed with following of the Kyiv metropolitanate the lead of the Church of Rome. On the contrary, the spread of Michael Cerularius's schism in Rus provoked God's anger, which exhibited in fratricidal war, the occupation of its land by the Golden Horde and the Duchy of Lithuania.
2. Bibliia. Suchasnyj pereklad [The Bible. The modern translation]. (2020). Red. R. Turkoniaka. Pershe vydannia. Kyiv. (In Ukr.).
3. Dvornik, F. (2000). Slov'iany v ievropejs'kij istorii ta tsyvilizatsii [The slavs in european history and civilization]. Kyiv. (In Ukr.).
4. Makgrat, A. (2017). Nebezpechna ideia khrystyianstva. Protestants'ka revoliutsiia: istoriia vid XVI do XXI stolittia [The insecure idea of christianity. The protestant's revolution: the history from XVI to XXI century]. Kyiv. (In Russ.).
5. Stryjkovs'kyj, M. (2011). Litopys pol's'kyj, lytovs'kyj, zhmuds'kyj i vsiiei Rusy [The chronicle of Poland, Lithuania, and all the Rus. L'viv: Naukove tovarystvo imeni Shevchenka. (In Ukr.).
6. Tkachuk, R. (2019). Polemichna tradytsiia unijnykh pys'mennykiv kintsia XVI – pershoi polovyny XVII st.: doba i postati, tekst i prototekst, rytoryka i poetyka [The polemical tradition of uniate writers of the end XVI – the first half XVII century. Kyiv. (In Ukr.).
7. Shaff, F. (2012). Istoryia khrystyanskoj tserkvy [The history of Christian church]. Sankt-Peterburh. T. VIII. (In Russ.).
8. Shaff, F. (2018). Istoryia khrystyanskoj tserkvy [The history of Christian church]. Sankt-Peterburh. T.VII. (In Russ.).
9. Shaff, F. (2013). Istoryia khrystyanskoj tserkvy [The history of Christian church]. Sankt-Peterburh. T. IV. (In Russ.).
10. Shevchenko, V. (2004). Slovnyk-dovidnyk z relihiieznavstva [The dictionaryreference book from religious studies]. Kyiv: Nauk. dumka. (In Ukr.).
11. Morochowski H. PARYHORIA albo Utulenie uszczypliwego Lamentu mniemanej Cerkwie Świętej wschodniej zmyślonego Theophila Orthologa [The Paregoria or encouragement of biting lamentations of false Eastern Church]. Wilno, 1612. (In Pol.).
12. Rutski, W. Sowita wina to iest odpis na script, Maiestat Krola Iego Msci honor y reputatią ludzi zacnych, duchownych y świeckich obrażaiący, nazwany "Verificatia Niewinnosci" , wydany od Zgromadzenia Nowey Cerkwie nazwaney Ś. Ducha. Wilno, 1621. (In Pol.).
13. Skuminowicz, T. (1643). Przyczyny porzucenia Disuniey przezacnemu narodowi ruskiemu podane a Jaśnie Wielmożnemu Przewielebnemu Panu Iego Mośći Panu Abrahamowi Woynie z Bożey y Apostolskiey Stolice łaski Biskupowi Wileńskiemu ofiarowane od Theodora Skuminowicza [The reasons for abandoning of Schismatic Church to the precious Ruthenian people were given to the Abraham Woyna offered by Theodor Skuminowicz]. Wilno: W Drukarni Akademiey Societatis IESU. (In Pol.).