MYTHOLOGICAL CHARACTERS IN THE LATIN POETRY OF THE UKRAINIAN BAROQUE
The article examines the peculiarities of mythological characters in the Latin poetry of the baroque period in Ukraine. This period contributed a lot to intercultural relations between Ukraine and Western Europe and gave a birth to the phenomenon of the baroque Ukrainian poetry, written in Latin language. In the present paper much research has been devoted to the poetic works of Theophan Prokopovych, Grygoriy Vyshnevsky and Ilarion Yaroshevytsky; their poetic texts are found in printed editions ("Elegia paraenetica", "Epinikion", "Elegia Alexii", "Comparatio vitae monasticae", "Descriptiuncula Kijowiae", "Possesoris horum librorum luctuosum vale") and manuscripts ("Iter laureatum", "Cupido seu amor alatus"). The study analyzes the poetry in various genres, such as panegyric, elegy, epigram, lyrical poem. Addressing to the ancient legacy was defined as the sufficient and necessary feature of the baroque style. The article suggests the idea that a poet gives a preference to one or another mythological character in his individual author's interpretation. The analysis of the poetic texts reveals the most productive mythological characters, which can be classified into the following categories: 1) art (Apollo with the Muses, the winged horse Pegasus); 2) martial arts (Mars); 3) celebrations (Bacchus, Hymenaeus); 4) love (Venus, Cupid, Cypride ); 5) natural phenomena (Aurora, Lucifer, Phosphorus, Titan, Zephyrus, Thetis). The research has demonstrated that contamination of the two worldviews was natural for the baroque poet. This contamination was embodied in the bizarre combination of Christian and ancient elements in their literary works. It was traced that Latin poets of the Ukrainian baroque completely followed the literary traditions of the classical theory of poetry, what was marked in the form of the poetic work and its content.
2. Makarov А. (1994). The Light of the Ukrainian Baroque. Кyiv: Art. (In Ukr.).
3. Procopowič Th. (1744). Illustrissimi ac reverendissimi Theopani Procopowič Miscellanea sacra, variis temporibus edita, nunc primum collata publicoque edita. Vratislaviae. (In Lat.)
4. Procopowič Th. (1743). Lucubrationes illustrissimi ac reverendissimi Theophani Procopowič quae (praeter unam narrationem) iam poëmata, lam epistolas, iam orationes in se comprehendunt. Nunc primum in unum corpus collatae et in publicam lucern editae. Vratislaviae. (In Lat.)
5. Wißniowski G. (1604). Iter laureatum : [Panegyric to Joseph Krokowsky]. The Deaprtment of the Rare Editions: National Library of Ukraine Named after Vernadsky. (In Lat.)
6. Wölfflin H. (2004). Renaissance and Baroque. [trans. By Lundberg E.]. Saint Petersburgh: Azbuka-classica. (In Rus.)